But Jesus called them to him and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them.
It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:25-28 ESV)
· I don't have to use people as a means to an end or to get stuff. I have everything I need coming from my loving heavenly Father. With Him I have limitless resources and the intimate relationship that I’ve always longed for.
· No matter what people do to me, they are not my adversary or enemy. They are wounded and still blind to the gospel. They may lash out in anger and pain, but as much as it depends on me, I can live at peace with others.
· Apart from Christ, I'm no different than they are. Sympathy and compassion should be at the forefront of my thinking—not judgmental sneers. Who am I to think of myself as superior to them?
· True leadership is simply facilitating change in people’s lives. I can do this much better as their servant than their
· It is my greatest joy and delight to be spent for others. They desperately need this from me and I willingly lay my life down for them. No one can ultimately take my life; it's hidden away in Christ.